Job ID 20744
Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training is seeking an Employment Advisor in the Employment Resource Centre. The Employment Advisor will provide advice, assistance and information to clients on all aspects of employment search and training needs.
- Assist unemployed or underemployed, Indigenous people to obtain employment and /or skills-based training.
- Interview clients to obtain employment history, educational background and career goals.
- Job search strategies, writing resumes and preparing for job interviews.
- Assess needs for further training and educational upgrading and refer clients to the appropriate services.
- Work with job seekers to develop job readiness skills.
- Advise clients of employment and training opportunities at Miziwe Biik and other institutions that are available within the GTA.
- Make referrals to specific employment and training opportunities.
- Responsible for ongoing follow-up with clients who are actively job searching or participating in training programs.
- Responsible for monthly statistical and activity reports for all active clients and close client files.
- Assist clients prepare for interviews and conduct mock interviews upon request.
- Assess client suitability for training and advocate on behalf of client requesting financial support for purchase of training.
- Responsible for inputting interventions, action plans, updating and closing client case.
- Community College Diploma related to Career Counselling or Human Resources would be an asset or transferrable skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent listening skills.
- Ability to identify employment and training needs for individual clients.
- Demonstrate knowledge and familiarity of the Indigenous community and the services available in the Greater Toronto Area.
- Ability to prepare resumes and cover letters and to coach/prepare clients for the job interview process.
- Excellent computer and keyboarding skills, and intermediate knowledge of Microsoft software applications including word processing and data entry an asset.
- Results driven person with the ability to work within and contribute to a team environment.
- Ability to develop work plans and prioritize work activities while focusing on results.
- Previous experience facilitating training workshops or a willingness to learn
- Ability to respect client confidentiality.
- Team Player
- Willingness to Learn
- Detail Oriented
First Nation, Métis and Inuit applicants are encouraged to apply and asked to please self-identify on their cover letter. Please submit your cover letter and resume via email to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Open until filled **
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please If you are invited for an interview and require access accommodation, please let us know in advance so that we can make adequate arrangements.