Miziwe Biik and their partners created a Youth Committee to help them better understand how Indigenous youth’s experience can be improved within the skilled trades. For example, when learning about skilled trades career paths, applying to pre-trades programs, and completing apprenticeships. The Committee consists of Indigenous youth between ages 15-25.
Members of the committee work together to:
- Create actions for engaging more Indigenous youth about the skilled trades.
- Share their perspective on skilled trades and how their experience could be improved.
The Committee runs from December 2021 to October 2022. Members contribute about 4 hours of work per month, through a mix of meetings (held virtually) and work on various project activities.
About the Skilled Trades Youth Committee
Miziwe Biik is working with the following partners to better understand how trades can grow within Indigenous youth communities in the GTA.
- LiUNA Local 183 – a construction local union committed to worker safety and training based on in-demand skills.
- Skilled Trades College – a training institution that helps students develop the knowledge and skills they need to be employed in the trades.
- Aboriginal Apprenticeship Board of Ontario – a not-for-profit organization working to increase the number of Aboriginal people in the trades.
Indigenous youth and young adults
We are looking for Indigenous youth and young adults to consult with about their experiences, to help the Committee advise on Trades programming.
We are not currently recruiting for additional Committee members.
Committee members who attend and participate in all meetings, collaborate on project activities, and provide feedback receive $5000, in addition to opportunities to meet other youth and create positive change in the community.
If you’d like to learn more about the Skilled Trades Youth Committee and/or Miziwe Biik’s trades programs, contact Andrew (email: Andrew@miziwebiik.com).
If you’re in high school, you can also talk to your teachers and guidance counsellors about the skilled trades.
How to get involved
We are interested in connecting with Indigenous Youth to consult with for committee projects.
Email Andrew@miziwebiik.com for more information.
We are supported by Ontario Trillium