Miziwe Biik would like to invite you to our virtual Skilled Trades Open House. We are forming a Youth Committee to help us learn how young people’s experience with the skilled trades can be improved. Joining this Committee will allow you to meet interesting people, help your community, and learn new things, all while receiving compensation for your time. If you are interested in this opportunity, please attend our virtual Open House. You can join us online on November 11th from 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM.
Miziwe Biik is working with the following partners to better understand how trades can grow within Indigenous youth communities in the GTA.
- LiUNA Local 183 – a construction local union committed to worker safety and training based on in-demand skills.
- Skilled Trades College – a training institution that helps students develop the knowledge and skills they need to be employed in the trades.
- Aboriginal Apprenticeship Board of Ontario – a not-for-profit organization working to increase the number of Aboriginal people in the trades.
Miziwe Biik and their partners are creating a Youth Committee to help them better understand how Indigenous youth’s experience can be improved within the skilled trades. For example, when learning about skilled trades career paths, applying to pre-trades programs, and completing apprenticeships.
Members of the committee will work together to:
- Create actions for engaging more Indigenous youth about the skilled trades.
- Share their perspective on skilled trades and how their experience could be improved.
The Committee will run from November 2021 to October 2022. Members will contribute about 4 hours of work per month, through a mix of meetings (held virtually) and work on various project activities.
Members who attend and participate in all meetings, collaborate on project activities, and provide feedback will receive $5000, in addition to opportunities to meet other youth and create positive change in the community.
We’re looking for Indigenous youth aged 15-25 to participate on our committee. If you’re interested, please fill out this questionnaire by November 12th, 2021.
If you’d like to learn more about the Skilled Trades Youth Committee and/or Miziwe Biik’s trades programs, contact Andrew (email: Andrew@miziwebiik.com).
If you’re in high school, you can also talk to your teachers and guidance counsellors about the skilled trades.
How to apply
Attend our upcoming open house. Visit the link below to register.
Connect with Andrew@miziwebiik.com if you have any further questions.
We are supported by Ontario Trillium