Job ID 29292
Branch: Human Resources Branch
Section: Human Resources
Employment Type: Indeterminate
Position Linguistic Designation: Bilingual (English, French)
Salary: $115,974.00 – $130,533.99 + $1,763.31 Bilingual Allowance
Union: UNIFOR 2025 Excluded
Location: Ottawa Headquarters
Closing Date: 12/08/2023
Employment Equity Designation: As a result of the PSAC Workforce and Availability Analysis and in accordance with the PSAC Employment Equity Plan, the successful candidate for this appointment will be a qualified person from one of the following groups: Indigenous or a racially visible person.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
Under the general direction of the Assistant Director Human Resources and as a HR team supervisor, the position provides subject matter expertise on Human Resources systems, payroll, benefits, leave management, pension and related financial accounting in accordance with statutory, collective agreement and financial accountability requirements.
The position has primary responsibility for leading the delivery of payroll and benefit programs and offers operational payroll/benefits advisory services to management, elected officers, staff of the PSAC and its Components.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the supervision and development of the payroll and benefits team, serving as the point of contact for executive and elected officials, providing support to the Assistant Director, HR and performing leadership tasks related to payroll and benefits.
- Completion of a post-secondary program, preferably in accounting AND currently hold a Canadian Payroll Manager (CPM) Designation with The Canadian Payroll Association (CPA);
- Currently hold a recognized Canadian designation or be in the final stage of attaining certification.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of demonstrated subject matter expert experience in payroll and benefits in a unionized environment.
- Excellent knowledge of collective agreements, policies and procedures relating to payroll, benefits, leave management and pension.
- Advanced knowledge and technical expertise in accounting practices, principles and standards to provide leadership related to complex financial transactions as it relates to payroll and benefits in partnership with the Finance Branch;
- Strong knowledge and commitment to trade union and equity principles and an understanding of the sensitive political and social issues between a union employer and its internal bargaining agents.
- Strong research, analytical and mathematical skills in order to provide expert advice and guidance on payroll, benefits, leave management and pension matters;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and apply processes to ensure correct application and compliance with collective agreements, legislation, regulations, standards, directives, guidelines and policies related to payroll, benefits, leave management and pension;
- Strong computer skills and demonstrated knowledge and experience of system applications and implementation, preferably with ADP, SAP SuccessFactors, Great Plains;
Strong skills in using Excel;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and deal effectively with people especially in difficult and/or sensitive and/or confidential situations;
- Second language skills as per the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) level indicated above.
- Demonstrated problem-solving, consultative, persuasive, conflict resolution skills and excellent judgment to provide sound direction and advice on payroll related issues to all levels of management and staff.
A full job description is available upon request.
The Public Service Alliance of Canada is committed to achieving and maintaining a representative workforce that ensures the full participation and advancement of traditionally under-represented groups. Applications are encouraged from equity groups including women, racially visible persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, and two-spirit (LGBTQ2+) persons.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in the selection process. For accommodation needs or to obtain a copy of the documents in alternate format, please email email@example.com.