Job ID 25215
Job Title: Program Coordinator & Indigenous Arts Facilitator Trainee
Location: Hybrid. In-person work (occasional weekends and evening work).
Terms: 30 hours/week
Start Date: as soon as possible
End Date: December 31, 2023, with a possibility of an extension
Hourly Rate: $25/hour
Description of North York Arts
North York Arts is an arts service organization designed to address the needs and interests of North York artists, arts organizations and residents. North York Arts is working in collaboration with various community partners to foster North York arts programming, provide art services to the region and bridge connections in the art and culture community between North York and the rest of the City. North York Arts serves 6 wards of Toronto.
The Program Coordinator & Indigenous Arts Facilitator trainee is responsible for facilitating and coordinating NYA’s Art Connects programs and supporting other NYA events and programs.
Art Connects is an ongoing initiative that started in 2019 to address North York Arts’ role in Truth and Reconciliation. As North York Arts builds programs, partnerships, and relationships, we continue to ask ourselves “As a non-Indigenous organization, what can we do to support the process of decolonization and build the right relations with Indigenous communities?”
Art Connects has consisted of multiple components and phases, all of which centre Indigenous experience and teachings.
The position will report to the Director of Programs and work closely with other NYA staff and stakeholders. The work will require in-person meetings with community members including artists and other service agencies across North York, and online interaction with artists and NYA team members. This position will play an integral role in the development of NYA’s expanded reach to serve communities in North York.
- Liaise with internal departments, committees and external partners to facilitate the coordination of Art Connects community mural and educational arts programming
- Adapt the existing program curriculum and facilitate educational arts programming with partners in North York
- Facilitate regular meetings between stakeholders
- Contribute to and help implement plans to engage stakeholders and volunteers
- Develop and maintain project schedules and timelines for programs 1 of 2
- Plan and execute educational arts programming, additional ancillary events and community engagements as part of the community mural
- Support the development of partnerships
- Contribute to community engagement and support outreach for the project
- Identify and implement improvement strategies and best practices.
- Responsible for ensuring stakeholders’ database is current and accurate, including all data entry and information updates
- Provide support for other NYA projects by coordinating with and assisting colleagues as needed or requested.
The Ideal Candidate Brings the Following to the NYA Team
- Experience in facilitating art programs or community programs
- Experience in project management and coordinating projects
- Knowledge of North York and a strong ambition to connect with groups
- Strong interpersonal skills in establishing successful working relationships both internally and externally
- Experience working with community arts programming or community programming
- Experience managing multiple projects and events
- Interest in arts, community and/or non-profit work
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience being proactive, accurate and reliable in the workplace
- Experience with GSuite and Asana, is an asset
Learning Opportunities for Trainee
- Further develop arts facilitation skills and be onboarded and mentored by current NYA facilitator(s) and/or staff
- Further develop skills and knowledge of project management i.e. building work plans and timelines and using online tools like Asana, GSuite, and Google Sheets
- Further develop project budgeting skills and knowledge i.e. how budgets are built and created at NYA
- Further develop clear and effective communications skills i.e. building contracts and communicating with artists, partners and other stakeholders
- Further learn about public funding in the arts by supporting funding applications for projects
- Further understanding of the runnings of NYA as an example of a small arts organization where all staff contribute towards the growth of the organization
NYA’s office is located at 5040 Yonge Street, 2nd floor (stair access only). Staff work in a hybrid online/in-person model, with a minimum of one in-person day/week. The successful candidate will be expected to use their own smartphone for work purposes for communicating with the NYA team and accessing NYA’s VOiP phone (so that the candidate’s personal phone number is not exposed to third parties). The candidate will use an NYA computer for their work. Occasional evening and weekend work will be required, particularly during programming time.
Potential candidates must be registered or eligible to register with Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training. Must be First Nations, Inuit or Metis and reside within the GTA.
Non-registered candidates can contact email@example.com to set up an appointment.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and CV in PDF format, we also accept video applications if that is of preference to the candidate to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30, 2023. Subject line: Program Coordinator & Indigenous Arts Facilitator Trainee. Please indicate where you saw the job posting in your application and indicate if you are registered or eligible to register with Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training. Must be First Nations, Inuit or Metis and reside within the GTA.
North York Arts is strongly committed to equity and inclusion within the community and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including BIPOC-identifying individuals and 2SLGBTQIAP community members. Please note that the NYA office is currently inaccessible to mobility device users.
We thank all applicants in advance, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Should you require accommodations for your application, please contact email@example.com. Interviews may be conducted throughout the posting period. However, no offers will be made until after the application deadline.