Job ID 24447
Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training is a non-profit organization, established as G.T.A.M.B. in 1991, our main objective is to provide employment and training services to the Aboriginal community in the Greater Toronto area.
Job Coach – Skilled Trades
The Job Coach is responsible for engaging, advocacy and to encourage the Carpentry Pre-Apprenticeship students. The position will be the point of contact between the educational facility and Miziwe Biik.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as a point of contact for professors, tutors, parole officers and professionals within the context of the Carpentry Pre-Apprenticeship Department as Job Coach,
- Work with students that have addictions and as a referral to the appropriate professional services
- Assist clients with the attaining resources that fit their needs including the provision of financial assistance when required (Band Funding, Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program, Employment Insurance)
- Aid in the set up of positive networks within and out of the Aboriginal community and help connect students to events that create inclusion into the new setting
- Track progress of students and make suggestions to services the student is receiving
- Follow up on absences and make recommendations
- Update students files as needed
- Receive attendance sheets and submit to Manager
- Provide first contact counseling and connect students to professionals for further counseling
- Mentor, motivate and use effective methods to strengthen confidence and resilience.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 60 lbs.
- Knowledge of the Aboriginal community,
- Knowledge of addictions and resources in the community
- Experience with mentoring/counselling
- Able to work under pressure on time restraints
- Attentive to deadlines with strong organizational skills
- Ability to recognize and solves problems in a timely manor
- Understanding of the public sector and not for profit is an asset
- Ability to work individually with team goals in mind
- Confidentiality with client information with discretion based on court order or required by law
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
First Nation, Métis and Inuit applicants are encouraged to apply and asked to please self-identify on their cover letter.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to: Human Resources: email@example.com
“Open Until Filled”
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please