Website The National Ballet of Canada
The National Ballet of Canada is one of the most exciting, innovative arts institutions in Canada, and is regularly ranked among the top ten ballet companies in the world. Established by founder Celia Franca in 1951, The National Ballet of Canada presents a full range of traditional full-length classics and has been an innovative commissioner of new contemporary work by some of the most important choreographers and designers in the world. The National Ballet is deeply committed to the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and is committed to reaching broad communities through education and outreach initiatives.
We are currently looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic Receptionist to work at our main office location.
The Receptionist is the first point of contact for all visitors at the Walter Carsen Centre and will be primarily responsible for greeting all staff, guests, patrons, board members and volunteers in a professional, friendly, and polite manner and directs all telephone calls and inquiries to the appropriate personnel. The Receptionist supports all departments in the organization and communicates with contracted service providers. The role will also play an integral part in supporting In Studio, the company’s recreational program offering dance and fitness classes to teens and adults.
- Respond to and redirect all incoming telephone calls and relay messages to the appropriate personnel
- Assist with general and patron inquiries, on the telephone and in person, resolve any issues with professionalism and redirect and escalate as needed
- Greet and assist guests and visitors – including donors, volunteers, and board members – as they enter the reception area and notify company members of their arrival
- Coordinate the intake and payments for In Studio classes from students as well as manage the In Studio email inbox by answering any questions about the classes or workshops
- Provide information and assist with general inquiries, including In Studio inquiries, on the telephone and in person, resolve any issues with professionalism and redirect and escalate as needed
- Collect, sort and distribute incoming mail and drop off outgoing mail to a Canada Post mailbox
- Notify staff of deliveries, process and arrange for courier services and maintain donation/auction items for pick up
- Oversee and maintain general office supplies and order business cards
- Provide administrative support to CreativAction, a programme to share the company’s resources and support the dance community in Toronto
- Assist the Development department with data entry as well as envelope/mail folding, place cards and name tags for events, etc.
- Stay informed and knowledgeable of all aspects of The National Ballet of Canada including repertoire, membership, policies and procedures, etc. and maintain a professional attitude and appearance
- Other administrative duties as assigned
- 1-2 years of clerical and administrative experience, preferably in a receptionist or customer service front facing role in an office or gym setting, delivering a high level of service
- Familiarity with multi-line telephone console/switchboard system/Intercom
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong Microsoft Office application knowledge and familiarity with SharePoint an asset
- Experience with Mindbody software system considered an asset
- Professional interpersonal and superior organization skills, hold a positive attitude and demeanor on the phone and in person
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Take initiative and adapt to changing demands
- A passion for the performing arts considered an asset
- Normal shifts are 5-hours long and may fluctuate between morning, mid-day, and evening from Monday to Friday
- The reception desk operates from 8AM to 9:30PM on weekdays
- Occasional weekend shifts may be required
- This is a unionized position with starting pay at $17.18 per hour
- The position will be entitled to complimentary performance tickets
Qualified candidates are to forward their resume and cover letter as a single PDF document to HR@national.ballet.ca with the subject heading: “Receptionist” by no later than August 19, 2022. Resumes will be reviewed as soon as they are received. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. The National Ballet of Canada recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada. Although the National Ballet administrative teams are currently working a blend of remote / in person work, this position will require more onsite work due to the nature of the role.
The National Ballet of Canada is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible, and equitable environment where employees feel valued and respected. We are committed to reflect the diversity of our community, our city and our country. We strive to ensure our recruitment and selection processes are bias-free. We welcome and encourage submissions from Indigenous, Black and People of Colour, the Deaf and disabled as well as individuals of all genders, cultures, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and abilities. We are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources department will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.