Website Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival
Hot Docs is a not-for-profit organization that aims to advance and celebrate the art of documentary, and create production opportunities for documentary filmmakers.
Held in Toronto each spring, Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival is North America’s largest documentary festival, conference and market. Each year, the Festival presents approximately 200 Canadian and international films to audiences exceeding 220,000. For documentary professionals, we offer a dynamic slate of industry events and initiatives, including Hot Docs Forum, as well as a full roster of professional development opportunities.
Hot Docs also owns the Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, a 650-seat, century-old screening venue in Toronto, that is a year-round home for Canadian and international documentaries.
Additionally, Hot Docs is the event organizer for the annual World Congress of Science and Factual Producers, a member-run conference for science and factual producers, broadcasters and content providers from around the world.
OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Full-time Permanent
REPORTS TO: Director of Programming
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 31, 2022
Overseeing all aspects of the Docs for Schools program, the Education and Youth Programs Manager will:
- Introduce a young audience (aged 11-18) of students to the appeal and impact of documentary film via our partner education institutions nationally (middle schools and high schools);
- Design and implement programming strands; curate and program documentary films for the various programs and ensure they complement school curriculum;
- Create the framework and content for a series of documentary film programs each school year that will complement course subjects, appeal to teachers and engage students;
- Create and produce the annual Docs for Schools Teacher Conference;
- Identify and build relationships with key external partners to enhance program offerings and reach;
- Promote, outreach and market the program to educators and key allies nationally
- Oversee and manage department staff.
Docs For Schools programs:
- Based on ongoing analysis, initiate necessary changes, additions and/or creation of new programs
- Analyze programs at the end of each school year in June (content, participation)
- Follow and stay up-to-date with ongoing changes occurring in education, their potential impact on the program, and how they can be incorporated into future programming
- Creation and facilitation of the Docs For Schools Advisory Committee
- Some travel to education-focused conferences and events
Film and Program Content:
- Determine scope, timing and themes for programs for each year
- Oversee curation, programming and securing rights to films for various programs
- Facilitate ongoing engagement with teachers to understand teaching realities; including meetings with Docs For Schools Advisory Committee
- Keep abreast of current affairs and world events, how they connect with curriculum and subjects, and relevant films that can be pursued
- Negotiate agreements and fees for films for use in program (with distributors, filmmakers)
- Identify and program content for the Docs For Schools Today page
- Identify and secure programming partnerships with relevant organizations/ groups
- Select and co-ordinate content, guests to complement films (webinars or panels)
- Oversee creation of the DFS Education Packages
- Continue to ensure content and presentation is relevant
- Manage current and contract new writers as needed
Docs For Schools Teacher Conference:
- Determine relevant theme each year
- Create and produce conference (venue, guests, promotion)
- Planning and participation in various teacher organization events (both presentation and trade show components)
- Ongoing engagement with teachers (informally and in a focused outreach manner)
- Identifying and connecting with potential program partnersOther:
- Manage Docs For Schools annual budget
- Manage and oversee tasks and deliverables of the Docs For Schools team
- Work closely with Communications team to provide them with materials for Docs For School web pages, and various promotional materials
- Collaborate with other departments and be responsive to needs of Development and Sponsorship teams for required Docs For Schools data and metrics for reporting purposes
- Oversee production and execution of all aspects of the program, including tracking data and compiling year-end reports
- Minimum 3-years experience in a management role in the education sector, educational programming, or related fields
- Post-secondary degree in arts, media, education or related fields is encouraged
- Familiarity with middle and secondary school education structure and how outside content can be used to complement school curriculum
- Budget management experience
- Strong interest in world events with ability to find film connections that can be relevant to curriculum
- Experience with outreach and promoting programs to new groups is preferred
- Strong negotiation skills
- An appreciation for documentary films and understanding of the role they can play in the learning process
- Organized, and works well in fast paced, fluid environment
- Comfortable working within a larger team environment
- Strong, clear, and concise writing and communication skills
- Comfortable with public speaking and hosting
Please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by May 31, 2022.
Attn: Shane Smith, Director of Programming
Re: Hiring Committee – Education and Youth Programs Manager
Hot Docs is a forum to share stories and perspectives on the people, issues and events that shape our world, and we encourage respectful discussion and debate to foster greater understanding and empathy.
An integral component of this is Hot Docs’ commitment to fostering an organizational culture that brings together people with different races, identities, abilities, experiences and skills. Hot Docs is committed to reflecting the diverse communities we serve in the stories we present and also in our workforce. We encourage applications from diverse communities and welcome applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Hot Docs encourages applications from qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the hiring manager to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to the accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org