Website Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival
Hot Docs is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to advancing and celebrating the art of documentary and to creating production opportunities for documentary filmmakers.
Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival, North America’s largest documentary festival, conference and market, will present its 30th anniversary edition from April 27 to May 7, 2023.
Year round, Hot Docs supports the Canadian and international industry with professional development programs and a multi-million-dollar production fund portfolio, and fosters education through documentaries with its popular free program Docs For Schools.
Hot Docs also owns and programs the Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema, a century-old landmark located in Toronto’s Annex neighbourhood and the world’s first and largest documentary cinema. While closed during the current pandemic, Hot Docs is offering audiences across Canada access to first-run documentaries and curated programming and events on its Hot Docs at Home streaming service.
Additionally, Hot Docs is the event organizer for the annual World Congress of Science and Factual Producers, a member-run conference for science and factual producers, broadcasters and content providers from around the world.
Back to Careers
OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Full-time, fixed-term contract
REPORTS TO: Volunteer Manager
START DATE: January 16 – May 12, 2023
LOCATION: Hybrid position (office space in downtown Toronto & work from home), subject to public health recommendations
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 16, 2022
The Festival Volunteer Operations Coordinator will be heavily involved in supporting the planning and execution of the 2023 Hot Docs Festival. The portfolio will primarily deal with the recruitment, orientation, training, and scheduling of all Festival volunteers. During the Festival, the Coordinator will work with a second Coordinator to ensure that all volunteer shifts are full and help manage day-to-day operations of the Festival Volunteer Office. The ideal candidate will be an involved member of our positive and supportive team that takes ownership of our place in the world, values contribution and individuality, measures success through the empowerment of others, and balances hard work with laughter, celebration, and a sense of community.
This position will provide an excellent opportunity to learn and improve volunteer and event management skills, liaise with every department across the organization, and gain experience using customer relationship management (CRM) and project management software.
- Assist with outreach to recruit new and returning volunteers for various roles for 2023 Hot Docs Festival
- Assist in creating, sourcing, and maintaining an engaging social media presence for Hot Docs Volunteers
- Assist with in-person and online orientation/training sessions, compiling orientation guide/training manuals, and preparing any materials and presentation aids as needed
- Provide Hot Docs Staff with training and resources on how to work with and supervise volunteers
- Review and create master shifts for festival volunteer positions
- Proof all Festival shifts and help schedule shifts into the Salesforce database
- Create and schedule festival communication with the festival volunteer teams
- Collect and input notes into the Salesforce database regarding volunteer training completion, performance feedback, and Captain/Supervisor reports
- Answer volunteer inquiries via email and telephone in a timely manner
- Ensure all volunteer shifts are full for the duration of the Festival, manage cancellations or no-shows via telephone, and process cancellations promptly
- Liaise with festival venues and assess Floater needs daily
Assist with coordination of all levels of festival volunteers (Captains, Leads, Theatres, Industry)
- Assist with the set-up and management of the Festival Volunteer office (potential offsite location)
- Assist with planning and execution of volunteer appreciation events
- Complete a post-mortem detailing successes, challenges, and suggestions for the Volunteer Office
- Other duties as required
- Executes ideas with excellent organizational & project coordination abilities, attention to detail and follow-through
- Able to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously while working independently and as part of a team
- Exceptional relationship-building skills, willingness to learn and lead by example, take initiative and respond to change with flexibility, adaptability, and a positive attitude
- Motivated by the values of creativity, collaboration, equity, diversity, inclusion, social justice, and accessibility
- Minimum 1+ years of festival volunteer management experience for an arts and cultural organization (or equivalent experience) (more than one organization is an asset)
- Experience with conflict management, reciprocal communication tools, community building, and volunteer social work is preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Experienced and comfortable using and creating content for social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
- Proficient in Office 365, Google Suite, Dropbox, Microsoft Teams, and Zoom (Asana, Slack also an asset)
- Experience with Salesforce or other database systems is an asset
Basic knowledge of graphic design tools such as CANVA and TRELLO is an asset
- The individual will need to comply with Hot Docs’ vaccination policy
- Flexible schedule leading up to 2023 Hot Docs Festival with preparation to work some evenings and weekends. Available to work every day from April 17-May 7, 2023, including weekends (in accordance with ESA).
- Full Time Festival Staff Pass
- Staff entry to Hot Docs Cinema (during contract and post-Festival)
Please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on December 16, 2022.
Attn: Alicks Girowski, Volunteer Manager
Re: Hiring Committee – Festival Volunteer Operations Coordinator
Hot Docs is a forum to share stories and perspectives on the people, issues and events that shape our world, and we encourage respectful discussion and debate to foster greater understanding and empathy.
An integral component of this is Hot Docs’ commitment to fostering an organizational culture that brings together people with different races, identities, abilities, experiences and skills. Hot Docs is committed to reflecting the diverse communities we serve in the stories we present and also in our workforce. We encourage applications from diverse communities and welcome applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Hot Docs encourages applications from qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the hiring manager to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to the accommodation will be addressed confidentially.