Red Sky Performance
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY – ARTISTIC INTERN
Under the mentorship of Artistic Director Red Sky Performance, the Artistic Intern will train towards a career as a performer and leader with Canada’s leading performing arts company.
The Artistic Intern requires a deep commitment to and engagement with Red Sky’s artistic goals and company ethos, as well as a strong sense of responsibility and an excellent work ethic. Under the expert mentorship of the Executive & Artistic Director, the Artistic Intern will assist Red Sky in moving forward to achieve its vision: To create inspiring experiences of contemporary Indigenous arts and culture.
Red Sky will provide the Artistic Intern with opportunities in performance, dance and theatre training, one-on- one mentorship opportunities with the Artistic Director, touring and travel opportunities, and the ability to develop and serve as a representative for Red Sky through artistic performance, educational outreach, production and touring activities, public speaking, and other community initiatives.
In an environment respectful of Indigenous cultural traditions, we are committed to nurturing the Artistic Intern into a seasoned professional. The Artistic Intern will gain a deeper and clearer understanding of the performance environment, with a particular understanding of the contemporary Indigenous arts perspective.
Artistically the Artistic Intern will:
- Under direction of the Artistic Director learn first-hand about creative process, producing a new work, and artistic visioning; assist with artistic and production outreach activities; and learn how to grow the company’s profile and impact in the community, and learn of current trends and changes within the artistic community.
- Foster an appreciation for Indigenous arts and culture through live performance, workshops, educational outreach initiatives, artistic programming, and community classes to enrich our communities; Participate in mainstage performances, special events and galas, and be nurtured alongside fellow Indigenous artists.
- Train and be provided with opportunities to share experiences with fellow artists, creatives, arts companies, and community partners, including arts communities and Indigenous communities.
- Learn how to act as a representative of Red Sky through attendance at productions, tour activities, workshops, and community events.
Administratively (Organizational Management) the Artistic Intern will:
- Train and learn to apply production coordination including communication with colleagues, tracking completion of relevant tasks, implementing community initiatives and liaising with community members.
- Support the content creation for Red Sky’s print and online social media posts including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other platforms.
Qualified Candidate Attributes
- Demonstrated educational training related to:
- Indigenous Studies
- Performing Arts
- Community Engagement and Outreach
- Demonstration of some applied knowledge of the performing arts including performance, arts administration, educational and community outreach, and touring.
- Demonstrated organizational, time-management and administrative skills to set goals and achieve success.
- Familiarity with arts communities and Indigenous communities is ideal.
- Openness to work in a cross-cultural, multi-national and international team environment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
NOTE: Candidates must be eligible for and currently registered with Miziwe Biik Aboriginal Employment and Training. This trainee position is only open to those who self-identify as First Nation, Métis or Inuit and reside within the GTA.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a detailed resume and cover letter, outlining qualifications, and describing why you are suited to the position.
Application E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: October 31, 2022
Position Start Date: January 2, 2023
Position End Date: March 11, 2023
Salary: $22.00/ Hour
Location: Toronto, Ontario
To learn more about Red Sky Performance, visit our website: redskyperformance.com
This Employment Opportunity is made possible by the following: